Tuesday, June 11, 2013

6. 10 of the Best Virtual Field Trips

After reviewing an article about 10 amazing virtual field trips, I decided to take a closer look at two of the virtual tours.

Hershey's Factory

The Hershey's Factory virtual tour consists of a series of short videos explaining how Hershey's chocolate is made from start to finish.  The first video shows the collection and transport of raw ingredients such as cocoa beans and milk.  The second video shows the early stages of processing, and the third shows the milling and pressing process.  After the cocoa beans have been prepared into large discs of cocoa, ingredients are mixed, refined, and finally made into the chocolate products that many children (and adults) love.  The final video shows the names and labels of a variety of Hershey products.  I decided to take this tour because of a memory from my childhood.  My father went on a business trip to Pennsylvania and had enough time to tour Hershey's Factory.  Although I didn't get to go myself, the souvenirs were fascinating.  Children would enjoy getting to see a virtual tour describing the process of making chocolate.

The National Museum of Natural History

There are many children who will not have the opportunity to visit the National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C.  I didn't have the opportunity to visit the museum until after I had graduated from high school.  I had the opportunity to visit the museum again recently and remembered how much I enjoyed the experience.  I had no idea that the museum offered a virtual tour, but I am very pleased to have learned about this.  The virtual tour includes all of the main exhibits and even shows exhibits from the past; for children who would otherwise be unable to visit the museum, this virtual tour is an amazing opportunity.  Because it is difficult to take in everything in the museum in a day, the convenience of the virtual tour is incredible.  High quality panoramic photos give students the feeling that they are actually standing in the museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment