Friday, August 2, 2013

13. Ali Carr-Chellman - Gaming to Re-Engage Boys in Learning

Among the more frequently discussed issues regarding problems in education is the fact that many boys are being lost to the modern school system.  Ali Carr-Chellman, in her TED Talk about re-engaging boys in the learning process, describes this modern school system: zero tolerance goes beyond its originally intended purpose; there are not enough male role models in classrooms; and the compression of the curriculum has created serious problem for the students who have fallen behind.

The idea behind zero tolerance is that, in the body of students, the many are protected from the few.  In this case, "the few" are students who would seek to harm others.  Instead of going to the source of the problem, schools remove the "instruments" of this problem, going to the extent of limiting even discussion about these "instruments," such as guns and knives.  Carr-Chellman argues that this kind of zero tolerance has gone too far - schools expect boys to respond to things in the same way that young girls might, but boys deserve the same opportunity to express themselves that girls have.  Boys deserve the opportunity to talk about their culture in the same way that girls do.  As a girl that fits outside of the societal "norm," I find myself very understanding of this argument.  The things I like to do and the ways in which I choose to express myself have been mocked by my own family; nothing is more demotivating than to feel unappreciated by the important people in our lives.

The second problem is, in some ways, the most profound.  Carr-Chellman points out something that many of us know, but fail to consider:  where are the men in education?  In comparison to the number of women, there are very few men in the field of education.  If boys and young men need male role models at home and in society, why wouldn't they need a male role model in the classroom?  It is worth considering that some of these young boys may not even have these male role models outside of the classroom, leaving them completely devoid of appropriate male influence.  This is a serious problem.

The final problem is the compression of the curriculum and the increased attention on teacher accountability.  While I agree that the progress of children and the success of teachers should be closely monitored, I have very strong disapproval of the way that these issues are affecting our schools.  Learning should be creative, engaging, and immersive (as video games often are, as pointed out by Carr-Chellman); the compressed curriculum discourages both teachers and students, draining the life out of what otherwise has the potential to be a wonderful learning experience.

All in all, I found that I related to this TED Talk more strongly than I would have anticipated.  I have experienced some of these issues for myself, although I would have to say as a whole that my education growing up was excellent.  I have seen these issues alive in the boys that I have observed in clinical and want desperately to find a way to reach a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment